Following our trials and tribulations as we attempt to remove all grains, many starchy vegetables and most sugars from our diet while maintaining our love of good food! We strive to make all of our recipes GAPS and/or SCD compliant. Note: We didn't know about "Grain-Free Gourmet" when we chose our name. We are not affiliated with those good folks.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dairy-free coffee creamer

I was dying for a cup of coffee last weekend (decaf, but still), and I don't like it without half-and-half or cream. I also wasn't in the mood for coconut cappuccino. Since we can't have uncultured dairy on GAPS, I needed to come up with an alternative. I was thinking of these artificially-flavored coffee creamers that are filled with hydrogenated oil that my mom likes, and I thought I could make a healthier version of one of those. I think that this recipe was a success. My husband thought it tasted great in the coffee too, and he can eat whatever he wants!

I used 1/2 cup honey and thought it was a tiny bit too sweet. I'm going to try 1/3 cup next time. I also plan to try different flavors in the future, especially vanilla.

This makes enough for two to three cups of coffee (at least the way I like it).

Ingredients

4 egg yolks
Pinch of sea salt
1/3-1/2 cup honey
14 oz. coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon natural almond extract

Method

Heat coconut milk in a medium saucepan to just boiling. Beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Add the salt and honey and continue to beat until thoroughly blended. Add hot coconut milk, a little at a time, to egg yolk mixture, while beating. Put the entire mixture back into the saucepan, and heat over medium low until mixture begins to thicken. Add to hot coffee in desired proportion, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

All photographs and written materials are the sole property of the posters, as applicable by law, unless otherwise noted.