Following our trials and tribulations as we attempt to remove all grains, many starchy vegetables and most sugars from our diet while maintaining our love of good food! We strive to make all of our recipes GAPS and/or SCD compliant. Note: We didn't know about "Grain-Free Gourmet" when we chose our name. We are not affiliated with those good folks.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Coconut Flour Pizza Crust

I came up with this recipe today because I wanted a pizza crust not made with almonds, as one of my kids is sensitive to oxalates. This recipe is loosely based on a low-carb pizza crust recipe by George Stella, which uses soy flour. I wish I could say this recipe was fabulous, it's not- however it does get the job done and sometimes that what counts :) It did not, however, photograph well.

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup coconut flour
3 eggs
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup club soda or water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 clove garlic, crushed

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Beat eggs in a medium bowl, then beat in other ingredients.

Spread thinly and evenly on a greased pizza pan or cookie sheet (this was just the right amount of dough for a 10" x 15" jelly roll pan). The dough will be more sticky then regular dough and bit thinner in consistency

The original recipe said to bake for 12-15 minutes, until the crust is nicely browned and cooked through. This took closer to 30 minutes in my oven- not sure whether it is the change in flour or the fact that my oven temp is off. It should be done when the edges start to brown.

Top your pizza with sauce and whatever else you would like. Bake for another 5-10 minutes, depending on the toppings. If you are lucky and able to have cheese, bake until the cheese has melted nicely.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds great, I'm gonna give it a try!
    I'm used to making a SCD/paleo crust with almond flour. I also tried the cauliflower pizza crust.
    It's always fun to try something different ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it without the 1/3 cup water or soda and it turned out fine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight. thanks!! while yeah, compared to wheat sure it's not amazing, but compared to nut crackery crusts i prefer this! i'm doing a loose variation of scd (mostly scd but i do minor cheats...like gf beer w/my pizza, ha). i know baking soda isn't on GAPS but i didn't have soda water & i assumed it was for 'loft'. so i did 1/2 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp baking soda. worked out great! thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this but used almond milk instead of coconut milk. I have substituted this in other recipes and it was fine. But the "dough" seemed very runny and pasty, so I added almost double the coconut flour to give it a drier consistency. It turned out ok, but if you ate more than a piece or two you started to really taste the coconut. That could be because I used too much flour, but I just didn't see it turning into crust as runny as it was with just 1/2 c. flour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think coconut flour may vary a lot from one company to another. I've used Bob's Red Mill most of the time, but ended up with a package from another company (it was green) and it seemed to absorb liquid differently. So, with that in mind, it makes sense to adjust the liquid/flour ratio as needed. Miss Diagnosis- yes, it is pretty "coconut-y" and I personally prefer other crusts to this one. Since coconut milk is much thicker than almond milk, 6that might have made a difference as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe, my daughter has type 1 and we have her on a no wheat,dairy or gluten diet. I have made this a couple of times for her and she loves it. Doesn't make her sugar spike hardly at all. I don't put any cheese on it but I load it up with spinich, mushrooms, onions...all kinds of good stuff. Thanks a bunch and Katrina thanks you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the recipe...can't wait to try it. I use organic coconut flour from Aloa Nu. it's 61 % fiber and soaks up liquids like a sponge. My celiac son preffers it to any other gluten free flour ! should be fun ! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this starting point! Here were my modifications:
    instead of coconut milk, add 1/4cup EVOO + 1/4cup coconut oil (expeller pressed, so no coconut flavor), 4tbs ground flax seeds, 1/4 tsp xantham gum and 1 tbsp parmesan cheese. Also added less salt and baked 20 minutes b4 adding toppings. Turned out great! No coconut taste at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this comment is for the daughter who has type 1 diabetes. please read Dr mercola.com. he has an article on type 1 diabetes. it states there is a possible link between type 1 diabetes and
    low d 3 (you get this from the sun). plus, look at Dr. mercolas article on non gmo foods. my mom used to have blood sugar that would spike to over 3 hundred. after she started taking cinnonmen she would stay around 120. there would be times when she would be under 100.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

All photographs and written materials are the sole property of the posters, as applicable by law, unless otherwise noted.